Saturday, August 28, 2010

Assignment no. 2

Personality traits

Personality traits describe or identify one’s characteristics that made up himself as a person. It is a unique set of characteristics and/or qualities that one possesses. It is unique because each and every one of us has different personality that makes us as an individual. So with an entrepreneur, one should also hold certain personality in order for him to attain the height of success which I think the major goal of a businessperson.

So, how can one be a good entrepreneur? What are the traits that he/she should possess?

In order to be a successful entrepreneur one must have the following personality: sensible outlook towards his/her career, self-confidence, a computed risk-taker and should be emotionally stable. To understand further, every trait is enumerated as follows:

Sensible outlook towards his/her career. In doing things it is necessary to know its status. An entrepreneur is the one who envision life as full of opportunities even in the midst of crisis. In every predicament there is an opening to a new beginning. He looks at himself being in the peak of success yet he is also realistic.

Self-confidence. Believing in your own self and capability helps a lot to be an excellent entrepreneur. As long as he is in control with himself, he is persistent on attaining success in his quest. If one fails to control himself there will be a great possibility that he will lost his interest in his responsibility in developing his business. In the world of business where competition is irrevocable, an entrepreneur must have the confidence on exploring things. He should not limit himself. Discover new things, be innovative and be confident on exposing what you have created.

Computed risk-taker. One of the most important personality of an entrepreneur. When running a business, risks must be taken every day. However, the challenging part in here is making a decision on what risk you are going to take. Such risk includes leaving a comfortable life. It is essential to take this first pace and also it is one of the most hard to make. But there is no such thing as impossible if and only if one believes in himself and on what he can do on different situation.

Emotionally stable. It is also vital to be emotionally stable as one cannot work well if he is not in a good disposition. It is necessary for a reason that, if a person is lack of emotional stability he cannot coordinate well nor manage his undertakings. He cannot assure by himself to attain his goal as an entrepreneur. If he himself is already destructed how can he handle the complications in his career? Thus, on handling any type of business there is a need for the owner to be emotionally upright.

In addition to the specified personality traits above, Bill Bither also cited some of the personality trait that makes up an entrepreneur on his blog. He is the president and founder of Atalasoft, Inc., a software company that provides document and photographic imaging technology to companies worldwide. These personalities he had specified are the desire to build a better mousetrap, supportive family and friends, motivated to a point of being obsessive, jack of all trades master of none.

According to him the desire to build a better mousetrap is the most obvious of all traits. He also mentioned that “the desire to improve a process, a product, or revolutionize an industry is usually what gets us excited about the idea in the first place. That doesn't mean you have to have an idea to be an entrepreneur, but you must have the desire to discover that idea.” Bither elaborated. On the other hand, for him establishing a company can really take an emotional tool on you and your family and consume nearly all your time and thus he said that probably it’s best to start a business first before a spouse and kids, however don’t let that stop you. For the other trait which is motivated to a point of being obsessive, he emphasizes here that motivation is the main element for a person to be a successful entrepreneur. What it takes to be a good businessman is that one should be motivated and obsessive about a difficult goal and making sure that you preoccupy the right thing. The last thing he stated is being a jack of all trades master of none. With this, he explained that one must have a little knowledge of everything and should be good at it. It does not necessitate for you to be a master of everything because for him if one specializes only on a certain thing, then building and/or managing a business might not be for that person. For this trait he cited his own experience as an example. He detailed his story as follows:

“In my case, I'm a jack of all trades. I can design software, write software in a few languages, I'm pretty good in math, can get by in differential calculus even though it took a lot of work. I'm a pretty good engineer, a decent businessperson, I can get away with speaking and presenting, and I'm a fairly effective at writing. I'm not a master of any of these things, but each of these abilities is crucial when running a company. If you need a master at something, you can eventually hire that person. I do my best to hire people that are smarter than me.”

I personally agree with this idea of him. It is true that an effective entrepreneur must have awareness and understanding of every little thing that surrounds him. He must be versatile on doing things for him to be able stand on his feet and survive in the industry where he is in. This entrepreneurial personality trait is very beneficial because it helps them to “go with the flow”. Even though all business owners have what they call ‘business plan’, they cannot assure that things will happen exactly according to what they expected or what they have planned. Being adaptable will give them an edge to prevail over different issues and/or problems that come into their way and often challenge them. In business you will never know if your competitors will come out with something new, something better that may make your creation outdated. That is why it is necessary that an entrepreneur must possess this character trait or personality trait. Most of the time being versatile and creative goes hand in hand.

The above mentioned are the personality traits of an entrepreneur. This will help to ensure that anybody who desired to engage in entrepreneurship will achieve the height of success in whatever business venture he would like to prefer. In relation with this, our facilitator gave us an examination it is called the personality traits test. It is conducted in order for us to be aware of our capability or shall I say our competence of being an entrepreneur. As I took the exam, I am not that confident with the result knowing myself who is not that business oriented person. However after getting the score I am happy and contented with what I’ve got. It is not that low yet not too high. The analysis of my score shows that I am SOMEWHAT ENTREPRENEUR. As a sort of self assessment somehow I can be a good and successful businesswoman someday and hopefully with strong sense of courage, motivation and hard work I can be a business tycoon in the near future just like Lucio Tan and the Lopez’s in today’s generation.

I have encountered various examinations with regards to this topic particularly talking about being an entrepreneur and as I have noticed the outcomes are almost just the same. At present I can hardly say that I am a good entrepreneur nor I will be a successful one but I can bravely say that I can be one and it is not possible for me to be such sooner or later. Considering my capabilities nowadays it is quite hard to say a thing that is impractical. But even though I am not yet competent to be an entrepreneur I can exert much effort and work hard to conquer these things. If ever there will be an opportunity I will no longer just sit beside and watch over, not anymore. This time I am more conscious pertaining to this matter. I have wasted enough opportunities, right at this moment I will do my part. I’ll get back what I have just thrown way back how many years ago. I could still remember when one of the speakers in the seminars that I once attended said that “Now is the time for you to start your own business. Do not be contented of being just a worker, be a business. Take control of your own path. Enter the world of business. Not tomorrow nor the next month but TODAY!” Joining entrepreneurial activities without thinking of the possible benefits that I could get from it and knowing some of the business strategies and techniques from the people who already have proven their skills are just few of the learning that I have wasted. I regret those times when opportunity already came in me yet I have just taken it for granted. I should have started motivating myself in engaging this kind of activity a few years ago. This could be very valuable not only for today but also for the future. Then again it is not too late yet. I still have enough time to start over again and regret no more, for now is the new beginning. It is not just a coincidence that this subject Technopreneurship is part of the curriculum. I believe and I strongly do that I am meant to be engage in business. All I need is to gain more knowledge from my facilitators, learn from my experiences, enhance my capabilities and most importantly have the courage to take the responsibilities ahead.

Thus, taking into a consideration of the result that I obtain it is not quite ambitious for me to consider myself as a future businesswoman. In a way I possess some of the personality traits that an entrepreneur or a technopreneur must have. In the field of Technopreneurship, it is just a matter of knowing myself better to identify what are those things that I am capable of doing. Distinguishing my strength and weakness and/or limitations and be able to make it to the point of changing these poor attitude for the better. Next is setting up my goal towards my career for me to be guided on the path that I will take and finally being determined to reach this goal.

In general, it is absolutely important to know one’s personality traits as it directs you into your purpose. It is vital for a reason that if one is not aware of his traits he will not also be able to identify on where his competence really fits. I can say that this step I am taking right now is just a starting ground towards achieving my own goal. On the other hand, I suppose that having this kind of activity I’m referring to the examination that our facilitator had given us will help each and every one of us to be more aware or familiar with the factors and/or any other things relating to Technopreneurship. This is just the beginning; there must be more exams or test and even actual activities that we will be encountering as we go along towards our discussion in this subject. Being on the starting point of this step by step process, it will gradually open our interest into business matters. With continual motivation in this subject sooner than later we will be fully equipped with knowledge and with further training every student in this campus taking up this course will be very much prepared in making our way towards our journey in entering the real world of business.


Reference:
http://www.learnmyself.com/personality.asp?p=Quick_Test&i=COPE&sh=y

No comments:

Post a Comment